babychic

Selling carseats

Want to sell an item you no longer need but don't want to pay to list it in the local 'paper? Put it here, or even just put a link to ebay or somewhere else you're selling an item.
weezypops
Site Guru

Selling carseats

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm

I don't think anyone has one listed right now, but I wanted to make a post about selling second hand carseats on here. I'm sorry to be a pain but from now on it won't be allowed.

It's not that I think people are out to deceive each other, but it's generally not a good idea to buy second hand carseats unless you know 100% they have never been in an accident. This includes being dropped, bashed about etc. It's also difficult to say for sure how old they are (unless you have all the original paperwork etc.) and it's quite possible certain models have been recalled since they were first made.

I hope this isn't a problem for anyone but I would hate this site and by extension me, to be responsible even in a tiny way if something were to happen to one of our members' kids. I hope you understand.

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#2 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 pm

I have to say I would totally support you on this one Louise. I am very very strict about car safety with my children and would never dream of using a second hand car seat.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by artyfartymack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm

I totally agree Louise, I am a total stickler for car seat safety. As well as not buying second hand seats it drives me up the wall when people just go out and buy a seat and fit it themselves. Half of them are not suitable for your car. Essex County Council have a great service where you can try before you buy to get the right seat for your car. It's free and yet people still just impulse buy based on colour or price.

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#4 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 pm

I second that too. When we went to buy Sophie's travel system we got the salesperson to fit the car seat into Ryan's car to make sure it was ok. When it is going to be carrying something so precious, it is just not worth the risk

Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

#5 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 am

Totally agree, i would never ever buy a secondhand car seat as you said u never know if its been in an accident

janew
Tween
Tween

#6 Unread post by janew » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Completely agree, never buy a second hand car seat, unless you're 100% sure of its history and it's quite new. In addition to stress from possible accidents, seats are also subject to wear and tear over time, get knocked being moved between cars, etc., which can impact their performance in the event of an accident (which is when you need them to work at their best). Also, the new seats have constantly improving safety features, like better side impact protection.

I'd just like to add, the Essex Road Safety Team are at Lubbards Lane in Rayleigh every Tuesday (12.30pm to 3pm) and Friday (10.30am to 3pm) (except bank hols). They are brilliant and will tell you exactly which car seat is right for your car.

The service is completely free, they have about 30 years experience of car seat fitting between them. Beware any sales person that over-rides their advice!

Sadly most people seem to want the 'in' seat that matches all the prams, even though now we're told not to keep a baby in a car seat for more than 2 hours, or for a tiny baby 1 hour tops.
Best wishes,
Jane.

luci_heinz
Newborn
Newborn

#7 Unread post by luci_heinz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I know how this is going to come across and it is not intended to come across rude or anything, just a genuine question.

what would you suggest i do with my car seat? It was bought in nov 08 as a spare car seat for my mums car. It was £229 new, only been used 10 times max, and we don't need it anymore. it is too good for me to give away on the freecycle but its not advised to sell it either.
I would like it to go to a new home where they will use it more than i do. I know at the moment it is just sitting in my mums spare room doing nothing but i still can't just give it away.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you, Luci.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by artyfartymack » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I would still advise you sell it a long as you know it's not been in an accident you should be able to, but probably only to someone you now who can trust you.

I bought a 2nd hand car seat but only from a friend as I knew I couldl trust her.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#9 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:37 pm

There are also used car seats for sale on ebay as well. Must say they arent going for very much though. I think more and more people are weary about buying 2nd hand and would rather pay the extra just to know their little'uns are safe. Especially when alot of places now offer the paying off monthly schemes it makes that more possible.
Like Claire (artyfarty) said, your best bet is probably asking around friends and friends of friends.
ImageImage
ImageImage

supasista
Baby
Baby

Re: Selling carseats

#10 Unread post by supasista » Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 am

I totally agree with this. I wouldn't buy a second hand car seat and would be a bit hesitant even if a friend gave me one. There are so many safety issues to consider. It makes sense to just get a brand new one.

Return to “Selling”