babychic

Have you met many others?

Brettsgirl
Bootie-licious

Have you met many others?

#1 Unread post by Brettsgirl » Tue May 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Have you found that your (or your childs) name has been more or less popular? Did you expect to meet many/none only to find the opposite?

I went to school with a Daniella but no other Danielles. In fact it was a long time into my 20's before I actually met one my age. My sister, on the other hand, is named Jennifer (WHAT a name of the 80's) and there were 6 or 8 of them in our graduating year which had about 120 people.

I have met one other Sebastian. He was about 18 months and I heard his mum calling after him. Although she called him "Sebby". When I do get asked his name I do get a lot of "oh you mean like Seb Coe?"
Image ImageImage

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Have you met many others?

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm

I knew loads of Louises growing up - there was one in my class at secondary school, at least another three or four in my year, and every other person seemed to have it as their middle name!

I haven't met any other Felixs or Irises so far. Oh, actually, we were in the woods a few weeks ago and a Mum there called out to her daughter, and it sounded like she said Iris, but i wasn't sure. It surprised me though, which I suppose shows how uncommon they are as names!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I have only met one other William which surprises me as a month or so after I had William, Eastenders had a William born (I think?) also William is always in the top 10 names. He is in William's nursery but at the other end. There was also an Oxfam advert with a William when William was 3 weeks old. Of course there is Laura's William - oh and Laura's James! LOL! I haven't come across another baby James either yet. Again James is also always in the top 10 - but I don't think that means there will be loads of them - I hope!

Funny what you say about Jennifer - I was the only Jennifer in my year all the way through, Infants, Juniors (Both 120 in each year), High school and sixth form! Although there were 2 Jennifers in the year below me at High School. (High school had 7 classes of 30 so 210)

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

There were a few Rachels about when i was at school although you don't here many nowdays although my cousin named hers Rachel a few years ago.
I don't hear my 3 kiddiewinks names that much. I know of one Connie and my Connie was amazed there was another one as she had got to the age of 6 and not met anyone with the same name and Ted i met one a couple of years ago and Edie used to have a boy in her class called Gus years ago.
You don't hear of many Edies either and a couple of years ago we went to a friends picnic and there were 3 Edies there which was strange.

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#5 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 am

I have known loads of people with the same name as me, it was very popular in the 70's I guess! I have never met another female Ashleigh and as yet only one Sophie.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 am

Claire - do you find it annoying that there are several spellings of your name? Just curious really?

Schmushe
Blissful

#7 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 am

Alexas name is a name of a girl I used to look after in my nursery days, but have only ever heard it once since then, at Hockley woods the other week and a little girl just under 2 - was really shocked to hear someone else called it, and they were suprised when we said they had the same name.

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Gina73 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

There was one other Georgina at senior school and only know one other person with the same name.

Mia - there is another girl in Mias year at school and dont hear it that often.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#9 Unread post by nubs » Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

there only ever been one Kristina and that is me ;)

We meet lots of Jack's but Jack is the only Jack in his class and we know a couple of other Sam's and Samuel's
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#10 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Jenn wrote:Claire - do you find it annoying that there are several spellings of your name? Just curious really?
Sometimes, but only because so many people spell it wrong when they just assume that I spell mine without the i instead of actually asking me how it's spelt.

weezypops
Site Guru

#11 Unread post by weezypops » Wed May 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I would always assume Claire was with an 'i' as that's the more popular spelling, though a good friend of mine is a Clare, so I might sometimes make the mistake. Seems weird people would assume it was without the 'i' though. It always annoys me when people think my name is Louisa.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by Jenn » Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

I know/have known at least 3 of each Claire's, Clare's and Clair's - but it isn't a name that new parents use now tho is it? I have always like it!

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#13 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

At primary school i felt special as didn't know any other Leanne's, but got to Secondary schoool and i was on e of 3 in the same year. But again is many different spellings.

We Picked Alex coz we liked it, the old dears call him Alexander and we say no its Alex. He is the only Alex at Nursery
Same for Brendan and Sean only ones at nursery, there was on one occasion my SIL was in town and someone said the twins Brendan and Sean and assummed someone was talking about my two until they toddled up to their parents. So somewhere in Braintree town is another set of twins called Brendan and Sean (small world) but they are older than mine.
Leanne and children xxxx

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#14 Unread post by sheeina » Thu May 26, 2011 9:45 am

I have never meet a sheeina and I don't know of one but lots of people do know another sheeina???
I also have issue with spelling of name. It doesn't bother me anymore but used to when I was a teenager. I just go with flow mow I think you can't have a name like mine and spell it like it is without people getting it wrong. My friend is also called clare and we say clare without the I and sheeina with.

George was named after grandparents and we thought we had chose a nice strong uncommon name...how wring was I he is one of three at his preschool but he does suit his name.
And dh name "Paul" well I must know and know or at least 10-15. Lol common as muck lol.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#15 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 am

I didnt no many Gemmas until I was older and now I no 3, but spelt slightly diff with a J.
Jack the macs name, surprisingly there is only 3 in Jacks year, one in each class. :lol:
I no of a few other Jacks but nothing to think gosh its too popular. I think so many names are used now adays, nothing much too popular than another.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Return to “Baby Name Ideas and Discussion”