babychic

ADHD concern or just behaviour

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

Re: ADHD concern or just behaviour

#16 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 pm

thanks natalie, do you think that the fact the school haven't made a really big deal about her behaviour is that they may not think it is too bad as she can have her good and bad days

natalie1982
Toddler
Toddler

#17 Unread post by natalie1982 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 pm

it depends i know from matthew that he has good days and bad days
like yesterday despite having his medication in the morning he went into school so hyper and just not listening where today was different he went in calmly etc.

last week we managed to sit down and colour in a flower when the nxt day hes getting up every 2 minutes

i think the forms u need are the connors rating scale, when matthew was referred we got sent these for us and the school to fill out before the appiointmnet then took them and the doctor scored them and told us what the results where.

tbh alot of schools dont have the knowledge of ADHD or autism ive had matthews headteacher tell me "so many parents want a label for there child when it wont change anything" when it changes alot i feel ive also had her say that medication turns kids to zombies.
matthew has not turned into a zombie

also so many people blame the parents for it so many times ive been out and people have said "oh he just needs a good slap" they dont get it
Holly (7), Matthew (5), Samuel (2)

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#18 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 pm

yeah we got told we were bad parents and it was all our fault when she was in her first school, kept putting us on parenting courses

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#19 Unread post by Gillybean » Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm

spoke to the learning mentor today she was very helpful, she is like a senco and has given me a form to fell in to answer some questions regarding Abigail's behaviour at home, she has advised I make an appointment with her GP and get her referred to the lighthouse centre for testing and she agrees their could be something wrong.

she said she is going to put Abigail on a 6 week course for socail/ freindship then after the holidays in the new term in september she will start her own a 12 course for social and also anger management and she may put Abigail on an IEP so the new teacher is aware
she spoke to Abigail's teacher this morning and was told that her teacher is very strict and keeps a tight rein in the children but even she is finding Abigail hard to deal with, also found out that Abigail is sitting on the decking in the playground with no friends then taking herself to the medical room and saying she has bumped her head just to spend time with a really nice teacher :cry: as she only has one friend.
Also booked me on a parenting class to start after half term

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#20 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Have had report about Abigail's behaviour in class yesterday and this is what it reads:

Abigail is clumsy and jerky.
handwriting is poor, large and ungainly
Teacher tries hard to implement good boundaries but admits this is proving difficult.
Abigail destroys's school work by rubbing out answers and reacts negatively to praise.
Abigail finds it fairly hard to problem solve in maths and needs prompting to start.
Abigail can undertake age appropriate activites however in class this is only because she is prompted continuously about behaviour and following school rules.
Abigail participates in learning but needs prompting quite often to stay on task, enjoys talking and this can distract her.
Abigail plays physical games like chase and can be quite spiteful to others.
Finds others bad behaviour funny and will laugh and encourage others to misbehave more (even after being told to ignore)

just some of the comments her class teacher mentioned in the CAF report we have filled in aswell.

Bit annoyed with my mum though, I told her about Abigail's behaviour and listed all the things she has done ( a very long list) and she said that most kids do these things and that I shouldn't get abie a label or she will be branded for life, but my answer was that with a label as she put it, Abigail will get the help and support she needs through her life rather than dismissing any concerns and her getting a worse label of being just a trouble maker. Am i right? Plus my mum has not been down to see her grandchildren for over 2 years, she only saw them last year as we made the effort to go over there and when i asked her if she was coming down this year she said are we going her way at all which my answer was no as we don't have a car and she said well you never know. Grrrrrrr.

weezypops
Site Guru

#21 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Sorry your mum's being so unsupportive Gill. When you write it all down like that it's easy to see why you're having such a hard time of it. Have the school said what they're going to do next?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#22 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Louise

yeah and that behaviour is just at school, at home she:

she gets angry and frustrated easily.
hits her brother
throws a tantrum and will throw things, try to break things and run out of the house
is spiteful
rude
can't fall asleep easily
aggressive
loud
always on the go
very talkative
pulls her hair out and hits herself
expresses she wants to die
engages in dangerous behaviour such as teetering on the curb and has grabbed a knife and put it to her throat twice.
destroys her brothers things
resentful/jealous of her brother
hates rules
very hard to punish

the school have filled out the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) form and are emailing into the child and family board who will look at her cae again and decide what help we and her may need, they will also be supporting her next term aswell in junior and doing anger management with her and talking to her new teacher and keeping us informed of any incedents in the classroom so we can all work together to help and disapline her.

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#23 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:01 pm

we took Abigail to the adhd assessment yesterday and are still non the wiser. we were sat in an office and he asked the kids (Dillon and Abigail) to do some drawing and he basically watched them while talking to us, he asked them to draw pictures and he asked Abigail to draw shapes and things and while in the office they had a fight and Abigail hit Dillon.

the consultant asked us lots of questions, mostly about her play woth children when she was in nursery and pre-school and we couldn't always answer as we either couldn't remember or could only tell from a third party perspective as we werent there at the time, we did tell him how she is with her brother and he didnt seem all that interested although I got the impression the questions about her shareing etc when she was younger were about if she had learnt to interact with children properly when she was younger, is that right?

we brought along some paper work, a diary of her behaviour, letter from the school, CAF form filled out and other things but he wasnt interested in seeing those which we were abit annoyed about.

we have been given lots of forms to feel out, ther snap-IV teacher and parent rating scale, behaviour questionare, evaluation of morning and late afternoon behaviour, strengths and abilities questionare and the weiss functional impairment rating scale. and the same to the school.

Abigail has calmed down and seems comfortable with her new teacher who isnt being shouted at her but being engages her in doing tasks to help the teacher, sitting in her own for some lessons in the classroom to help her concentrate then reengaging with her table, making sure she understands what she has been asked to do too.

it is very confusing at the moment because she has calmed down some, I have asked this same question on an adhd forum and their replies were:

Totally normal, but it's not because they are comfortable in a new environment, but rather their brain is stimulated by the new so they don't have to seek stimuli on their own. I always knew the moment my son moved from "this is new and exciting" to "this is the same old same old" cause we'd see the well behaved child go right out the window

We've certainly seen this with my oldest granddaughter (severe ADHD). The first quarter her grades are good and she enjoys learning. Then the "shiny" wears off and the work gets harder and the grades start slipping and she gets cranky. She's in 7th grade now at age 12 and we've been seeing the same progression for the last 5 years at least.

although saying that she came out of school today and her shoes that are velcro the straps were hanging off and it was clear the velcro had been ripped off the straps but she told us that she had tripped and the velcro had just fallen off no where to be seen lol, we asked her several times if she had pulled it off and she denied it and then we asked her if she was being bullied and suddenly she came out with this story that a boy came over to her and tripped her over, pulled off her shoes and ripped off the velcro. we got home and sat her at the table and told her if she was making allegations of bullying she would have to tell the head teacher and told her how serious it was if she was making it up and after much coxing she finally admitted she had had an argument with her friends and stormed off in the playground at lunch and sat and picked at her shoes because she was annoyed

so not sure what to think at the minute

Schmushe
Blissful

#24 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you Gill.
TBH with everything in the news recently about children being labelled as special needs just to make it easier / get more funding, they are probably going to tighten it all when it comes to making decisions about children - quite rightly too!! So many get wrongly diagnosed.

Are they going to see her again??

This was probably the first of many appointments / visits where they will observe her, and look into her symptoms of it all. It could be that she is acting out - we both know how much rubbish she has been through with the schools and them using her as a scapegoat to get themselves out of trouble!!
I am not saying she hasnt got ADHD / a form of it (even a mild form of it) - but you have to give them time and not worry that they havent come to the conclusion straight away iykwim. I know several children who had ADHD / Autism and it took 5 years for a diagnosis to be reached and it meant visits to all kinds of doctors etc.. so dont be disheartened that they didnt say it in the 1st appointment.

It might be that if Abigail gets better attention from teachers / can build up relationships with her peers, that she might start to turn things around, of course I dont know her properly anymore, but she always was a socialable and very strong willed girl and kids her age dont like that unfortunetly!!

Fingers crossed they can help you out a bit more - even if its just on the behaviour side, even if she hasnt got ADHD they must be able to help you out dealing with that!! (Surely)

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#25 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:52 am

thanks for replying Michelle :)

yes they are going to see her again her next appointment is in 4 months time on the 18th Jan. He did give us a leaflet to try a product called 123 magic which apparently is good for helping children with behavioural problems so i am looking into that although cant afford to buy it i may ask on the adhd forum if anyone has a copy or if the library does it.

I remember now that Abigail went through a similar calm period when she started Friars and we thought wow its the school not the child but slowly little things started to happen again, so I think there is definately something there.

but you are right I do need to give it some time, i guess after what we have been through with the different schools and finally getting somewhere i did kind of pin my hopes on the first meeting getting an answer but yeah it may not be adhd. I felt like a had a slap in the face also yesterday when I mentioned to the learning mentor that Abigail had actually not had a meltdown for about 3 weeks although we have had little things and she said 'well that proves it can't be adhd then and must just be dicsipline problems' that comment hurt me although i dont think she meant it like that but I know Dillon although has a temper and gets annoyed and he has his soiling problem that is still ongoing, his everyday life isn't effected a great deal by his behaviour or emotions like what we see with Abigail so we must be doing something right. But yes even if it sin't adhd and they help with her behaviour that would be good just worried the school will suddenly say everything is fine and the consultant will dismiss anything we have said.

lol Michelle she still is very socialable, outgoing and strong willed and still has problems with friendship hence the reason she pulled her shoes apart yeasterday during lunch as she said she had an argument with her friends and stomped off in a huff and sat and picked at her shoes and then lied to us about it even though we could clearly see what she had done, eventually she admitted it and was sent to her room for the rest of the evening without being able to watch the film or any tv that she wanted and we have had to be creative with her shoes and turn them into lace ups lol as can't afford to keep buying new ones.

Schmushe
Blissful

#26 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 am

Like I said, I dont think it is the kind of thing you would want to diagnose after the first meeting anyway, I personally (after years of being a special needs co-ordinator) struggled to get kids diagnosed who were obviously autistic so its not always as simple for something like adhd which also could be behaviour rather than attention related.

You've probably already tried, but have you tried looking at her diet ? sometimes things in foods / drinks can be relatd to behaviour - e.g the sauce in baked beans, blackcurrant juice, etc.. can all set off hyper / unruly behaviour. Might be worth keeping a diary of what she has and see how the behaviour is when you take one thing away at a time / vary it - it may not be the most obvious thing either!! (I have known kids be unruly after pure orange juice and after sweetcorn!!!!).

Try Amazon if you cant find it anywhere else - used from £4.00 I think? http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-2-3-Magic-Eff ... 1889140163

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#27 Unread post by Gillybean » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:47 pm

thanks michelle, some one on netmums has been kind enough to offer to lend me the book for a few days and no we havent checked her diet but i am going to start writing her food intake down from tommorow.

hannah p
Newborn
Newborn

#28 Unread post by hannah p » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi. I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread! I have some products that naturally help with ADHD symptoms. I have had them approved by Steve Challum who heads up Chelmsford ADHD support group and they genuinely work (not a cure obviously but really helps with stabilising people). There is 60 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied so there is no risk on your part. All natural ingredients with no high levels of chemicals so ideal for children! For more details go to
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beauty-f ... 8209142658. Ask me all the questions you like or email me at hannahpape82@yahoo.co.uk

Return to “Medical”