babychic

coil

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
charlottejones19
Newborn
Newborn

coil

#1 Unread post by charlottejones19 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi,

Wondered if anyone would mind sharing experiences of having a coilfitted and how painful it was? am thinking about having one but have heard it can really hurt.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#2 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm

I personally dont have one, but my bestfriend has. She has the Marina coil and from what shes told me is that it didnt hurt but was uncomfortable being fitted (just think child birth is worse so is not much different to when you're being fiddled about with in labour). She had the 5 year one fitted, and periods were fine with it, she said it actually reduced period pains, HOWEVER, and this is a big however, shes fell pregnant with it twice. The first time was 4 months after having her son, and second time was a year later, both times miscarrying unfortunately.
She also said how her OH could feel it when they was "having fun".
ImageImage
ImageImage

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#3 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Another thing is, it could take up to a year to conceive after having it removed (if you dont fall pregnant with it) as it plays havoc with your ostreogen hormones
ImageImage
ImageImage

mitchellmonkey
Achiever
Achiever

#4 Unread post by mitchellmonkey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:19 pm

I actually have the marina coil and it's brilliant :D It was very uncomfortable when fitted, it did hurt but nothing compaired to child birth, felt like a really really bad period pain for a day or 2 but that was it. I used to have a period for 5 hours a month but i haven't actually had one for about 12 weeks now, this is normal though. I've had it fitted for about a year now and my sister has had her one for 2 years. They can stay in for a maximum of 5 years before having it changed. I was told that once it's removed you can fall pregnant straight away. i'll try to find a link for it so you can read up on it. I would defiantly recommend it though, wish i'd have had it fitted years ago. Grant was worried he'd feel it during sex but he can't, it makes no differance at all ;)

For your high quality fragrances and make up or to join our growing team of distributors visit www.myfmbusiness.com/nickygrant

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#5 Unread post by Clairebear » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 pm

I have a Mirena coil. It didn't hurt at all when he put it in and I have had no problems with it since. My OH can't feel it and I haven't had any bleeding at all. Actually, I had it fitted when I was still breastfeeding Sophie so I haven't had a period since before I was pregnant with her! I would definitely recommend it.

Here are links to some info sites and some opinions for you:

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/index ... topic/1278

http://besttreatments.bmj.com/btuk/cond ... 13641.html

http://www.femin.co.uk/?PageID=126&ThreadID=122

Hope these help

mitchellmonkey
Achiever
Achiever

#6 Unread post by mitchellmonkey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Hers the link that tells you all about it. It takes 1 months after removal for your periods and fertility to get back to normal :D

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

Near the bottom of the artical it says they cost £90 but if you go to your local family planning clenic they do it for free. they will usually only fir it if your going to keep it for at least 1 year as they are expsensive. The dr will also get you to go to the loo and do a 'swipe in there' thats gets sent of to make sure you have no STD's.

For your high quality fragrances and make up or to join our growing team of distributors visit www.myfmbusiness.com/nickygrant

charlottejones19
Newborn
Newborn

#7 Unread post by charlottejones19 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks girls, you have been brill!!

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#8 Unread post by lea-marie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm

I have a Mirina coil and I hate it...

I had it fitted in December last year and have nothing but trouble with it :(

I was told it would even out my bad periods, and probably even stop them from happening... NO! Instead, I have a 12(ish) day long period every 2 or so weeks, ridiculously heavy from day 1 to the end... without sounding gross, I also have to wear a pantyliner all day everyday as it has messed with my insides. It makes me feel stressed, nauceous, messes with my weight, hair loss, bad stomache cramps... the list goes on...

Yet one of my mates also has one and has not had a single period in 4 years and has had no problems with it at all...

I guess everyone is different

teenyweens
Settler
Settler

#9 Unread post by teenyweens » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:49 pm

I had the Mirina Coil fitted (5yr one) before I had megan and it was... sorry I'm being honest....
Butchery, they said they only fit it to ladies that have had giving birth and at the time I'd NEVER. They fitted it to help me with my periods etc.
It was fitted in the Jan/Feb 2006, collasped after the procedure, thought it was very painful, my blood pressure dropped they were very worried and made me lay down for an hour or so, couldn't leave hospital until blood pressure got normal.
I was in a lot of pain and then got an infection.
Doctor removed it about 5-6wks later. I couldn't cope with it any longer. I conceived December that year.
I am not sure if it would work for me now, after having a baby?

Please don't be put off by my experience huns, I don't think I should have had it fitted in the first place.

prateekstp
Newborn
Newborn

Re: coil

#10 Unread post by prateekstp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am

it did hurt but nothing compaired to child birth, felt like a really really bad period pain for a day or 2 but that was it. I used to have a period for 5 hours a month but i haven't actually had one for about 12 weeks now

Return to “Medical”