babychic

Lordosis

For sharing information about local health services, including doctors, hospitals, health visitors and alternative therapy.
BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

Lordosis

#1 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Does any of you have this or know anyone with it?

Since being a teenager I have always thought i have had some sort of curvature of the spine, but going the opposite way to scoliosis (sp?), so it curves in above my bum, and then out on my bum so my bum looks alot bigger than it should be. Family members have even joked in the past about being about to balance a cup of tea on my bum when im standing up.

I never went to the doctors about it as for some reason, unless i have the usual chest infection and need antibiotics, i always feel a bit of a hypercondriact and dont bother - afraid of making a fool out of myself i guess.
I then thought about it quite recently again but pushed it to back of my mind, then today i was laying on the bed on my tummy and OH was giving me a back massage. He then out of the blue said he thinks i have a curvature of the spine and that it dips inwards, then out again too far at my bum. He even pressed really hard through my fat to make sure it was my spine and not just a fat bum lol. He also said he had thought it before, but thought he was being silly.

I have done some research tonight and come up with this condition called 'Lordosis' and from pictures, its exactly like mine and the pain described is what i have been getting on and off since i was about 13, although i have had this shape since much younger and even have a photo of me at 9yrs old with it showing very prominantly. But it appears my pregnancies, Rubys inparticular, have made it worse and i now have pain every day which i had put down to SPD not healing properly. But by the sounds of it SPD was probably caused by this, and it just hasnt got better. I struggled to sit down for more than 10mins without pain if i have to sit on my bum. On my sofas on normally sit on the side of my bum to take the pressure off.

Going to go to the doctors some time this week, and if it is this, then depending on the severity, i may need an operation :cry: I am hoping it is the less serious form and that it can be fixed with physiotherapy and exercises.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Lordosis

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 am

I don't know anything about it but didn't want to read and run!

Try not to worry about the drs - I too hate going and put things off again and again! Good luck!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#3 Unread post by nubs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:22 am

I just read about this on the internet - I have the same, with the sticky out bum, its more prominent when I am carrying more weight and is possibly the reason that I had the c-sections. When you follow my spine down there is a wee bump at the top of my bum. When I learnt ballet they often called me pidgeon backed. I have been to the doctors about it and they said its nothing to worry about but then i do also have one shoulder higher than the other which was confirmed by a harley street doctor after my car crash.

If I sit or stand for too long I do get a pain that I can only describe as a pressure pain between my bum and back
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#4 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:12 am

Oh hun, good luck at the docs hun, try not to worry x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:28 am

Hope it goes well at the doctors Claire, at the very least they might be able to help you put it right with physio etc to correct your posture a bit.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#6 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Went to the doctors this morning. She seemed to shrug off the curvature but said there is issues with the fact i am in huge amounts of pain in my back, pelvis, bum and legs nearly 2 years on from giving birth and has given me some anti-inflamatory tablets and several exercises to do to strengthen the muscles in my back and pelvis.
I did read that in less severe cases of Lordosis, the curvature can be corrected by strengthening muscles, so i am hoping it will all sort itself out.
She is also sending me for a blood test to have my hormone levels checked for PCOS because of other reasons since having the kids. She said i have to wait until i am on my period though so have to wait a couple of weeks.
ImageImage
ImageImage

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Ahh hun im pleased you went to the docs. I hope the tabs help. Good Luck with the tests hun x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Glad you're getting somewhere Claire.

Schmushe
Blissful

#9 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:51 pm

I have PCOS hun, if you ever want a chat just give me a nudge. Ive had it since I was 14 (probably since birth but that was when it was diagnosed)

MVphysio
Newborn
Newborn

#10 Unread post by MVphysio » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi,

The curvature of your spine is down to your posture, how you stand and sit with affect the pain in the back. Pregnancy causes excessive weight on your stomach which pulls your pelvis further forwards giving you more of a pronounced arch in the back. It is indeed called a Lordosis or a Lordotic posture. This can be corrected with physiotherapy especially by changing which muscles you reply on to stand upright.

A lordotic posture relies heavily on the hamstrings and lower back. This in turn weakens the abdominal muscles. These will also have weakened with pregnancy. Core specific exercises and pelvic floors will help to strengthen these muscles. Pilates or post pregnancy exercise classes may also help you reduce your lower back pain. Massage and other physiotherapy tools will also reduce your pain without the need to take pain killers! Try a private clinic rather than NHS, if money permits, as they will be able to offer more to help rather than providing you with exercises to do at home.

I hope you get this sorted as lower back pain is not nice when your lifting the little ones up and down out of the cot.
Mike Varney Physiotherapy
http://www.mikevarneyphysio.co.uk
info@mikevarneyphysio.co.uk
01279 414959

Return to “Medical”