babychic

wanting your children to go to best school

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
mummymillar
Newborn
Newborn

wanting your children to go to best school

#1 Unread post by mummymillar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Im in the wrong catchment for the school id love my son to go to. we looked into moving. to expensive. why is it so hard to put your kids in the best school for them. :x

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Can you go on the waiting list for the school you want him to go to? I know it's not ideal, but it's something.

I used to work at a good primary school in London and people would get very upset when they didn't get places. However, you'd be surprised how often people moved house, didn't take places etc. and the waiting list places got offered.

xJuliex

#3 Unread post by xJuliex » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Have you thought about applying anyway? Sometimes you might find depending on the birth rate for the year your child was born that some schools do not fill up their places. I know how you feel though. We specifically moved to Chelmsford because we thought the schools were so much better and have found that our daughter's last school was far better than the one she is in now!! :( Thankfully, she will be going to secondary school next year and I feel then we will reap the rewards of moving. Her Junior school has not done that for us, unfortunately.
Julie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmxxn8N/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wmxxn8N/weight.png[/img]

kate
Baby
Baby

#4 Unread post by kate » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:55 am

Not sure about other areas but most schools in Southend LEA (except maybe faith schools) dont do waiting lists anymore - they recently changed the way you apply for schools.
In the Feb before they are due to start reception you have to fill in a form stating 3 schools in order of preference - they dont have to be your catchment school, but bear in mind that if you put 3 popular schools, eg. North street, chalkwell and west leigh, if you dont get into any then you have NO say which school they allocate you to, so it could be worth putting your 2 top favourite schools 1st then the 1 in your catchment last and hope you get offered 1 of the others 1st IYKWIM???

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:21 am

Kate - so once people are in a school, do they get any option to move to one of their preferred schools if someone leaves, or are they stuck with the one they get for better or worse?

kate
Baby
Baby

#6 Unread post by kate » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:13 am

You can move but i think they only open waiting lists after places are allocated

I have a friend who recently moved to within 100yds of West Leigh she has a daughter in reception at another school. Shes been told they have a 1 in 1 out policy so she has to wait until someone leaves to get her in

kat
Teen
Teen

#7 Unread post by kat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

I was really lucky with my eldest and she goes to a great school, top in the area and scored very highly with OFSTED, I just hope I can get my second in to the school too - but as she is only 10 weeks, they won't put her name down :lol: :roll: :( No joke actually, I am quite disappointed, I just know I am going to have trouble in a few years...... :evil: :x
Of all the things I've lost...I miss my mind the most.....

mel73
Toddler
Toddler

#8 Unread post by mel73 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi, just read thread...
If you one child in a school the sibblings are on a higher level for entry in the same school, many schools give priority to siblings...so there should not be anything to worry about!
Also as stated there is a new system for entry to schools, you do not contact the school, you should recieve an information pack, listing all the schools, so you have a wider choice...and as mentioned you write down your choices in order...
If for some reason you were not happy with the choice chosen for you from your short list you can appeal against it...and will be put on the waiting list befor the child starts school...
If your child starts at a school and you totally do not like it, you do have the right for a transfer, given a reason.. and there are places available.hope this provides some use,i have just been filling paperwork out for my son starting school and a daughter starting secondary school...
mel x
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lbff.lilypie.com/dfaQp1.png[/img][/url]

kate
Baby
Baby

#9 Unread post by kate » Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 pm

looking at Kats signature i think her daughter will have gone to senior school by the time her LO is due to start school! But if you are in the catchment hopefully you will still get her in - you have a few years before you need to worry about it though :)
I just found out Evie got into nursery at Ewans school so i'm happy - it raises the chances of her getting into the school next year and i'm out of catchment so i'm keeping my fingers crossed :D

mummymillar
Newborn
Newborn

schools

#10 Unread post by mummymillar » Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 am

we have tried everything. everyone i speak too gets offered their cay 3rd catchment school. my 3rd choice at ofsted 2. should i stop helping him learn as i know he will be advanced and then get bored. wasnt keen on greenways when visited and had a bad experience with trinketbox. i took him out.x :x

mummymillar
Newborn
Newborn

#11 Unread post by mummymillar » Wed May 14, 2008 11:05 am

that sounded mixed up everyone i talk too gets catchment school. it was my 3rd choice.x

moonsparkle
Newborn
Newborn

Re: wanting your children to go to best school

#12 Unread post by moonsparkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi,
I am an Essex mum but also an admissions officer at ECC. If anybody has any questions about policies or waiting list procedures just fire away and i will do my best to help.
I am also aware of parents lying to get their child into their preferred school. This saddens me as every year there will always be one or 2 children at the top of a waiting list for a popular school who have had their rightful place "stolen". We do have whistleblowing policies but unless other Mums send us anonymous letters giving us details we are unable to investigate.

Regards,
Moonsparkle

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#13 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Moonsparkle! Welcome the site! I may be contacting about the school procedures some time soon! It is useful to know someone in the system!

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#14 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey ya hun.
Ahh it is sad when you really want your child to go to a certain school and you dont get in.
This happened to us this year however has worked out for the best.
We found out a few weeks ago that my DS couldnt get the school we chose so we looked at other schools in another area an believe it or not we are over the moon as the school that my DS is now going to i feel is much better than our original choice. The ofsted was outstanding and when we had a tour we were overwhelmed, the facilities they have were fantastic!
At the time we didnt think about other areas, just the area we are in. We are going to move closer to DS new school too, in a way its a lovely change :D

Also when we received the forms through, we could send back the right one and it has the option to stay on the waiting list for our original chosen school!!!

Hope your ok and things are better.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

lauraannek
Expectant
Expectant

#15 Unread post by lauraannek » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 pm

we were really lucky we got a school out of catchment for William just hoping I can get Emily in too in a few years
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Schools”