babychic

Thorpe Greenways

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Thorpe Greenways

#1 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm

Thought i would put a recommendation on here for Thorpe Greenways.
My daughter started here in September and i have been very impressed with the school, its a big school 4 classes per year but i think that makes the head teacher work harder to keep the school running smoothly. My daughter has learnt so much i'm amazed and she loves school she can't wait to go and she got a fantastic report when she finished reception. I can't believe she is going to be in Year 1 in September.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:58 pm

It's good that you feel that pleased with the school to recommend it. I am dithering over Hamstel School (a minute walk away) and Thorpe Greenways.

Hamstel has the closeness which is a big advantage but I am still unsure!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm

My friend works at Hamstel so if you want an opinion on it let me know she has told me a few things!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm welcome to all suggestions - although I also believe that how well a child does depends on the individual child and the individual teachers.

What part of the school does she work in?

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 pm

I do believe that aswell and i think when you look round schools you definately get a feeling of what is best for your child, before i put my daughter in Greenways i looked around and i felt that my catchment school wasn't the right one for my daughter so i chose the one i had the best feeling for and i'm pleased with my choice. You have a while yet anyway and schools always change. My friend has worked in the nursery bit at Hamstel since it opened.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 am

I worked in the Junior section at Hamstel for a bit and the staff weren't happy there but that's because they had just got a new head and it always takes a little while for things to settle. I have heard that the staff are happier now in the Junior section.

I've also heard that the Head at Greenways has just left too? Is this right?

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 am

He left in January he had been there for 30+ years and they got a new head who was the deputy from Earls Hall and he is much better because there was conflict between the head of infants and the old headmaster but the new head gets on with the infant one now.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:20 am

deputy from earls hall? i used to know the deputy there-can't think of his name? I wonder if it is him?

What was the catchment school for your daughter? Just out of interest? And was it difficult to get her into a different school?

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:43 am

Mr Ashley Eastwood? Catchment for my children is Bournemouth Park which is the road i live down and she got in to Greenways fine it was a low birth rate the year she was born my health visitor told me so maybe that helped. My stepdaughter who is 9 and lives with us week on week off goes to Greenways and i thought that would help but the education people phoned me up and said they aren't classed as siblings cause i don't get her child benefit money which is silly but i suppose some people lie to get their kids in to certain schools so they are quite hot on it.
Is Hamstel your catchment? My daughters best friend lived in Richmond street and her and her sis went to Greenways so you probably have the choice of Hamstel and Greeways. I looked at Temple aswell and my friend works there and that was my 2nd choice, that is a very good school with an outstanding ofstead and really good headmaster. I've got to do the school form again this year for my son!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 pm

That's it - Mr Eastwood - he was deputy Head at Hamstel when I worked there - he was nice - got on well with him.

I am presuming that Hamstel is my catchment school - never looked tbh - but as i say it is only a 2 minute walk away from my house.

Lauren
Hop-along

#11 Unread post by Lauren » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Who was your daughters teacher rachel?

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:16 pm

She had Miss Bradley and then she left and she had an Australian supply teacher Mrs Williams when she went back after christmas until july how comes?

Lauren
Hop-along

#13 Unread post by Lauren » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I now work with a teacher that worked there

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#14 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Oh ok whats her name?

Return to “Schools”