babychic

Discussing things with the teacher

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
weezypops
Site Guru

Discussing things with the teacher

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 pm

How often do you discuss things your kids mention with their class teachers? Felix started talking this morning about something that had happened yesterday where his teacher had told him he'd made some bad choices/naughty choices but he insisted he'd made good choices. Very vague but he was clearly bothered by it. However, he wouldn't tell me what had happened and claimed he couldn't remember anything except that he had made a good choice. I assume it was nothing important because his teachers didn't mention anything at the end of the day but it did get me wondering.

Would you ask them about it? His teachers are very approachable and do have an open door policy but I don't want to bother them over every tiny little thing. On one hand I feel like if it bothered him maybe I should mention it, but on the other, the fact it wasn't mentioned to me and he didn't even go on the 'half and half cloud', which is what happens when they do something wrong, makes me think it wasn't that big a deal...

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Discussing things with the teacher

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I rarely talk to Alexas teacher, in a morning the policy is that you dont talk to the teacher or it makes the whole class late in / means children are kept waiting, and there are teachers in the playground you can pass on messages too or you can go to the office and ask to speak to the teacher if its really important.
After school, I only talk to her if its something really important. Our school has a colour scheme and they have to stay green (well behaved) but can be yellow if they have had a blip. Orange and red are very serious and are a chat / letter or even suspension. There are quite a few parents who stay behind and talk to her, and although I dont think she minds, somethings people talk about really arnt that major. (Not saying your issue isnt).
I think when Josh was in Reception, I probably spoke to the teacher more / wanted more input into how he was getting on, but now I feel like I know where she should be etc... that I dont need to ask now. She is able to tell me everything lol

If it was anything major Louise I am sure they would of asked to speak to you.
Bad choices can mean allsorts - Alexa said she got told off for making a bad choice not to wear a apron when she was painting (and getting paint on her) and that she didnt wear her wellies once and got mud all over her shoes.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah, I definitely feel I need less info about Iris at nursery than I did when Felix was there - suppose I'm just used ot it and it will be the same when she is in school.

I think you're right that it probably was something like that, it was more the fact that he was still bothered about it this morning. I think I just want to know what's going on with him but am torn between that and not wanting to be annoying!

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

If its really playing on your mind Id ask - its probably been forgotten about now but hes remembered it (hence remembering this morning). Do you think that maybe asking him again tomorrow he might say about it? Maybe you could do a activity about good and bad choices whilst doing something and see if he comments about it?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Our school is also 'open doors' but it is always the same mums at the door every morning so only speak to her in the morning if important - like this morning (since been sent home), or when he was wheezing with croup (I didn't want him sent home when he was fine).

I have gone in - maybe 3 times after school to discuss speech therapy stuff with her and once to discuss the friends situation

Otherwise - I trust her, and I trust the TA's. They are lovely and I know they will do what is right. I don't always understand what William has been up to in the day and if I had a query like that I would ask the TA's.

A few times - I have had unimportant queries or just wanted to make a statement like 'really proud of william at speech therapy' 'he can now say ee' and I have done this by writing a post it note and putting it in his reading folder - it gets checked every day.

Sounds to me like a simple misunderstanding - possibly Felix' or maybe the teacher seeing the end of the story and not all of it? If it was William and it still bothered him on Sunday/Monday - then I would write a note in his reading folder

Return to “Schools”