Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 hours
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 90g Mexican Tinga Paste or Chipotle Paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
For the garnish
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped and sprinkled with a little lime juice
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 100ml sour cream
- 100ml vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 2 tortillas or lime tortilla chips.
- Heat the olive oil and cook the onion on a low heat until deep gold and softened – about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Tinga/Chipotle paste then cook for another few minutes
- Pour in the tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon
- Stir in the sugar. Pour in the stock and season, then leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool a little, then either blend until smooth. Return to the pan and reheat gently.
- Make the garnish: Arrange the avocado, feta cheese, coriander and sour cream on small plates so that people can help themselves.
- Heat the oil in a deep sided pan. Cut the tortillas into thin strips and fry until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper. You could always use plain or lime tortilla chips as an alternative.