190g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large ripe bananas
85g melted unsalted butter
135g light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Optional: A handful of chopped walnuts and/or or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a 12-count muffin tray with cupcake liners
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl – flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another large bowl mash the bananas then beat or whisk in the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract and milk. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients then beat or whisk until combined. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, fold them in now. NOTE – The batter will be fairly thick.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them three-quarters of the way.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 220°C then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 175°C. Bake for an additional 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Muffins stay fresh covered at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.