A healthier version of the classic “Bolognese” souce, aka Italian ragu. Made with semi-wholewheat rigatoni pasta, and super charged by lots of mushrooms and less mince meat, this pasta is quite balanced in its carbs,proteins and fibers for a longer filling sensation and a smaller carbohydrates and meat consumption.
I would strongly recommend to use “Seeds of Change” semi-whole wheat rigatoni, that are excellent for their cooking tenure and filling power, meaning that you can just have a smaller portion.
Serves 3-4 people
- 1 brown mushrooms punnet
- 150-200 gr of organic mince beef
- 190-250 gr of semi-whole wheat rigatoni
- 3 shallots or a small brown onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk (optional)
- 4 tinned plum tomatoes (without the juice)
- organic tomatoes paste
- extra-virgin olive oil
- a dash of Kalo organic stock
- a dash of nutmeg
- a dash of black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Clean and cut the shallots, carrots and celery very finely, add the sliced mushrooms and put then in non-stick pan with some olive oil, and let them sweat at low heat for 5-7 min.
- At this point at the meat and let it brown for 7-10. Add the plum tomatoes cut in pieces a dash of tomatoes paste and the spices. Let it cook at low heat for another 15 min until the meat is cook through.
- In the meantime cook the pasta according to the packet instruction, and when ready, drain it and add it to the pan with the sauce. Stir it through and cook it in the pan for 1 minute. serve and enjoy!
About the Chef
I am a Pilates teacher by day, and author of Lemons & Olives, a food blog dedicated to healthy, quick, delicious recipes and nutrition advice for your everyday life.
The blog is created for time poor professionals, seeking a healthier life, but also delicious and easy to make meals.
You won’t find fancy ingredients, but only those easily available in your local supermarket. Hope you enjoy