This gluten-free sponge cake will always be a simple and delicious tea-time favourite. The quick and easy recipe simply switches regular self-raising flour for any ready-mixed gluten-free blend, and the end result is so light and moist that no one will be able to tell the difference. The sponge sandwich is filled with a simple vanilla buttercream, which works well with jam for the perfect finish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients For the cake:
- 250g butter at room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200g gluten free self-raising flour blend
- 4 eggs
- 1 flat teaspoon gluten free baking powder
For the buttercream filling:
- 50g very soft unsalted butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons jam
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Line two eight-inch sandwich tins with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fully combined. Then simply add all of the rest of the ingredients, and blend together using an electric mixer until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Distribute the mixture evenly between the two prepared tins, and spread so that it is level on top. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 15-20 minutes, until very lightly golden. Turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack and leave until cold.
- To make the buttercream filling, place the icing sugar and softened butter into a mixing bowl and beat together until very pale and smooth. And the vanilla extract and beat the mixture again. Then, simply smooth the buttercream evenly over the bottom half of the cake. Ensure that the top half is upside down, and spread the jam evenly over the surface. Then turn it over to sandwich the two halves together. To finish, dust with the remaining icing sugar.
About the Chef
My name is Helena Eynon and I am a mum-of-three and freelance writer living in Leigh-on-Sea. This recipe is part of a collection designed to cater for the whole family that are free from gluten, dairy or eggs. I hope that you enjoy it.