Today we made Lamb Cobbler and it was delicious!!
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 6 lamb steaks, cubed
* 2 onions, chopped
* 2 carrots, sliced
* Handful of mushrooms, quartered
* 3 tbsp flour
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 cup / 237ml red wine
* 1 1/2 cups / 354ml water
* 1 lamb or beef stock cube
* 350g plain flour
* 4 tsp baking powder
* Pinch salt
* 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
* 200g cold butter
* 4 tbsp water
* Sprinkle of dried thyme
1. Fry the lamb, onions and carrots in the oil for a few minutes until the lamb is browned.
2. Stir in the flour.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients for the stew and bring to the boil.
4. Season and transfer to the slow cooker, cook on low for 7 hours.
5. Once the stew is cooked preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4.
6. Now make the cobblers, add the flour, salt and baking powder to a bowl, grate the butter into the flour mixture and mix with your finger tips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
7. Add the lemon juice and water, combine to make a dough.
8. Roll the pastry to a few cm thick and then cut out circles using a pastry cutter, about 6 to 7cm in diameter. If you don’t have a pastry cutter use a mug or glass.
9. Place the pastry circles on top of the casserole around the edge, slightly over lapping as you go. Sprinkle with the dried thyme.
10. Brush pastry circles with either milk or a beaten egg. Place into the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the cobblers are golden brown.
– place butter into the freezer for a few minutes before using, it’s easier to grate that way.
– Can use self raising flour if you have that, just miss out the baking powder
About the Chef
Recipes are from an app called Slow Cooker Crockpot Recipes. It was created to help out busy families, who wanted to feed their family healthy, home cooked food, but struggled to have the time to do so.
The app is now available on all platforms.
Facebook page to accompany the app: https://www.facebook.com/SlowCookerCrockPotRecipes