Trying to get pregnant can be an exciting, but also stressful time for everyone. There are plenty of old wives tales out there on how to increase your fertility. But what actually works, and what are the best ways you can increase your chances of getting pregnant?
Here are our top tips for getting pregnant:
- Know your cycle: Your body will release an egg every month (ovulation). This is most likely to happen around 14 days after the first day of your last period. This egg will live for 12-24 hours after being released. Close to ovulation is the best time to have sex to increase your chances. Ovulation tests are readily available too and are a great way to help you know your body’s cycle.
- Frequent sex: Having sex frequently will of course boost your chances of pregnancy. Especially between days 3 and 14 of your cycle, or around 7 days before you ovulate. Around every other day around your fertile time should be sufficient.
- Get healthy: Cutting back on alcohol and quitting smoking are a good place to start, along with a healthy diet: your body needs to be in tip top shape. There are also various supplements available on the market to help with conception; Folic Acid is also great to take before pregnancy and up to 12 weeks once you’re pregnant.
- Get HIM healthy: As well as you being healthy, your partner needs to get healthy too. After all, he will also play a main part in the baby making. Cutting back on alcohol intake and smoking will increase sperm health as well as general wellbeing. Key nutrients for tip top sperm are: Zinc, Folic Acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. Avoid hot tubs, saunas, hot showers and baths, and wearing underwear that’s too tight. These can all decrease sperm health. Sperm likes to stay a couple of degrees cooler than normal body temperature.
- Don’t stress: Sometimes, getting pregnant can be all you focus on and therefore can become very stressful for you both. Take the time to enjoy each other, enjoy having sex with one another and don’t take things too seriously. Things have a tendency to happen when you least expect it. If you can reach orgasm, that can help too!
- Simple positions are best: Having sex in the ‘missionary’ position has been said to be the best way to conceive. It helps sperm travel through the cervix.
When to seek help?
Most couples (8 out of 10) will naturally conceive within the first year of actively trying without any form of contraception. However, some don’t. If you haven’t conceived in a year it may be worth going for a check up with your GP, just to make sure everything is working as it should be. If you are over 35 however, you may like to go sooner, as it can be a little more difficult to get pregnant at this time in your life. Don’t panic, that’s not to say you wont conceive. It may just take a little longer, or you may need a little bit of help.