- Hylands House, Hylands Park, London Road, Chelmsford, Essex. CM2 8WQ
- 01245 605500
- [email protected]
2 for 1
Click for details
Hylands House, in Chelmsford, Essex, is a stunning Grade II* listed property, spectacularly restored to its former glory and situated in 574 acres of historic landscaped parkland.
Hylands House is a fascinating and beautifully restored country house, dating from 1730.
Originally built as a modest red brick Queen Anne style house, Hylands House has changed and developed considerably throughout its history. Nine different owners have each stamped their own personality on the house, extending and remodelling according to their tastes and the fashion of the day.
In 1966, after the death of the last private owner, Mrs Hanbury, the Council purchased Hylands and immediately opened the park to the public. Following a 20 year programme of restoration to the House and landscape, work was completed in 2007.
Stables Visitor Centre
Within the walls of the beautiful Grade II listed Stables Visitor Centre, you will find a range of facilities to make your visit more enjoyable, including:
- Huttons Courtyard Cafe, offering a wide selection of hot and cold drinks, hot food, sandwiches, homemade cakes and snacks.
- The Stables Visitor Centre Gift Shop, selling a range of gifts including souvenirs, chocolates, preserves, toys, greeting cards and unique items made by our resident artists.
- Book Shop & Gallery, a second hand book shop including a selection of collector and out of print books, also incorporating a small gallery displaying samples of work by our resident artists.
- Artists’ Studios, based in the Stables Visitor Centre where visitors can meet the artists, view and purchase their unique artwork.
Facilities at Hylands
- Ample car parking, including accessible spaces
- Gift shop
- Hutton’s Courtyard Cafe
- Friends of Hylands second hand bookshop
- Artist studios – open Sundays and Mondays
- Hylands heavy horses – please call 01245 605523 or visit www.hylandshorses.co.uk for their working schedule
- Mauro’s at the Castle Kiosk
- Adventure Castle Play Area
- Pleasure Gardens and One World Garden
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Public toilets
- Full wheelchair and pushchair access
- Free mobility vehicles and wheelchairs available for use on the Estate – to book please call 01245 605523
Telephone contact numbers:
General Enquiries (Mon – Fri, 9am–4pm): 01245 605500
Stables Visitor Centre (10am–4pm): 01245 605523
Hutton’s Courtyard Café (10am–4pm): 01245 346765
Friends of Hylands Bookshop (10am–4pm): 01245 605509
Mauro’s at the Castle Kiosk (8.30am-4.30pm): 01245 422433
Hylands Box Office (Mon – Fri, 9am–5pm): 01245 605555
Emergency Contact for Functions (Evenings and weekends): 01245 605506